Corporate, Commercial and Civil Litigation
Litigation is one of the firm’s core practice areas. We have litigated at all levels of the Singapore Courts, showcasing our lawyers’ expertise in a broad spectrum of contentious matters
We have successfully represented local and foreign public listed companies, multi-national
corporations, SMEs and private individuals. Our results-driven approach has earned our
clients’ trust and confidence in us delivering the most cost-effective and practical solutions,
tailored to their needs.
Areas of Corporate, Commercial and Civil Litigation We Can help you with
- Banking and finance
- Building and construction
- Contractual disputes
- Employment matters
- Property disputes
- Securities & Finance Litigation
- Regulation & Enforcement
- Fraud & Asset Recovery
- Director & Shareholder Disputes
Mergers and Acquisitions
We advise corporations regarding a range of M&A transactions. Our mainstay work is related to asset and share purchases, joint ventures, disposals and amalgamations. Our team is able to leverage our insights into the synergies created in an M&A transaction to ensure that the best possible structure and transaction is adopted for each merger, acquisition, amalgamation or alliance. In structuring and reviewing M&A transactions our team also advises on the implications of financial and securities regulations, competition law compliance and assists our clients with obtaining the necessary approvals needed for a successful M&A transaction.
We advise on every stage of a fund’s origination and growth. This ranges from fund formation, fund structuring and compliance of fund regulations. We assist in the establishment and licensing of fund management companies, family offices and offerings of funds-related services. Our venture capital practice focuses on drafting and reviewing term sheets, investment agreements, shareholder agreements etc..
Our team works with established financial intermediaries and service providers to provide an integrated service platform to our clients. We also provide advisory services on the securities and financial regulations applicable to venture capital funds.
Our team guides start-ups through the legal and regulatory landscape and assists them
with the necessary agreements, data protection policies, employment agreements and
We ensure that good corporate governance is never compromised and we tailor our
advice to respond to the unique needs of each start-up. We look at short-term and
long-term implications and help start-ups navigate through the different stages of
growth and meet their commercial needs at each stage.
Banking & Finance
Our team analyses the commercial and corporate needs of our clients and provide guidance to our clients with their preferred mode of financing, taking into consideration the commercial realities of each client. We focus on structuring, documenting and reviewing various types of finance transactions, including asset-backed financing and debt-to-equity convertible loans. We also advise, review and draft security structures and bank standard documentation.
Financial & Securities Regulations Compliance
Our financial & securities regulatory compliance practice provides advice in relation to the licensing requirements for businesses and financial and securities regulatory aspects of M&As, funds and start-ups.
We provide advice regarding the applicability and enforcement of relevant statutes and regulations such as the Securities and Futures Act, the Banking Act and MAS circulars. Our advice is tailored to the business fundamentals, models, structure and needs of our clients.
We provide advice regarding licenses and approvals from the relevant regulatory bodies.
We also structure investment arrangements and guide our clients in relation to financial and securities issues covering recent developments such as the issuance of digital assets and cryptocurrencies.
Business Establishment & Corporate Governance
Our team advises owners, shareholders and companies over a wide spectrum of regulatory issues in relation to companies. We guide companies from their incorporation to growth and expansion of operations both domestically and internationally.
We provide comprehensive assistance to companies regarding the regulatory landscape and best practices of each industry. We advise, draft and implement corporate governance policies, investigate wrongdoing and make representations on behalf of companies to regulatory authorities.
Our network of “best friends” firms in ASEAN allows us to develop an ASEAN wide compliant corporate governance policy for our clients as well as provide policies that comply with local jurisdictional requirements.
In an increasingly integrated and globalised marketplace, companies invariably establish themselves in multiple jurisdictions. Employment laws and policies may differ across territories. Our employment practice is well apprised of these policies and advises our clients accordingly on the relevant employment legislations across borders. We are able to assist with employee relations, data privacy and protection, compliance with local employment laws and drafting of employment code of conduct.
Private Client Advisory
Having acted in a highly publicised case concerning an elderly widow and Chinese tour guide from years 2014 to 2017, our lawyers have gained a fair reputation for being the best in issues dealing with mental capacity. We have successfully won significant court applications and obtaining positive outcomes for our clients, at all levels of the courts up to the Court of Appeal. Our experience runs the gamut from Estate & Succession Planning to Family & Matrimonial Disputes. Our clients are given personal and specialised attention by our partners, legal associates and professional support staff.
Our Main Areas of Practice
- Business & Succession Planning
- Wills & Probate
- Family & Matrimonial Law
- Real Estate Matters
- Estate, Wealth Planning & Structuring
Receiverships, Judicial Management & Schemes of Arrangement
We advise companies, creditors and other interested parties over the best course of action in an insolvency scenario. Our team leverages its strong commercial understanding to ensure that our clients are able to obtain the best possible value from insolvency regime tools such as receiverships, judicial management and schemes of arrangements.
We also assist our client in their application to the Court with respect to receiverships, judicial management and schemes.
Winding-Up & Liquidation
In a commercially volatile world, businesses may often undergo financial distress and companies may face a myriad of factors which may affect its ability to continue to operate. Our team ensures that in such instances, the rights and interests of our clients are protected, whether they may be creditors, shareholders or other interested parties.
We assist our clients in the winding-up proceedings and work closely with liquidators to ensure that the relevant statutory obligations are complied. We advise our clients and represent their interests in relation to a winding-up proceeding. Our focus here has always been to get the best possible value for our client.
Our team assists individuals with respect to debt recovery, personal debt restricting programs, such as the Debt Repayment Scheme and advises our client on how to restructure their debts. Our practice involves issuing statutory demands, application for bankruptcy and recovery and protection of assets. We also assist our clients in defending bankruptcy applications. Our experience in debtor-creditor issues provides our team a comprehensive understanding of bankruptcy law.
We also advise creditors in relation to their rights and in their application to the Court for bankruptcy. We represent both secured and unsecured creditors and leverage on our experience to create bespoke debt repayment packages for our clients.
Cross-border insolvencies invariably involve complex multi-jurisdictional transactions and corporate structures. This requires coordination across multiple jurisdictions to ensure proper and seamless proceedings or restructuring.
Our team has experience in dealing with the myriad of factors that arise in a cross-border insolvency. We have advised companies as well as interested parties in the insolvency.
We leverage on our network to ensure multi-jurisdictional coordination to preserve assets and protect our clients’ rights. Our team also advises our clients regarding the recognition and enforcement of cross-border insolvencies, and aiding them to navigate the difficulties that arise out of multi-jurisdictions that is inherent in a cross-border insolvency.
Restructuring and Workouts
Our team’s expertise includes debt restructuring and workouts for creditors and debtor. By leveraging on our experience representing debtors and creditors, we have gleaned insights into the key considerations of either side. This has allowed our team to negotiate and implement deals that are of value to our clients. Our services extend to working with and advising creditors, independent financial advisors, auditors and accountants.
Asset Recovery & Investigation
We investigate misappropriation of assets, corporate fraud and misconduct. The proliferation of such incidences across territories requires close coordination between interested parties, regulatory authorities, enforcement agencies and private actors.
We assist out client throughout the process of investigation, asset-tracing and recovery. Our team has experience recovering assets in multiple jurisdictions leveraging on our global network of partner firms.
Our team utilises a variety of legislative and judicial tools to secure our client’s claims and advise our clients with the best possible strategy to ensure that our clients’ interests are protected.
We are experienced in the whole range of dispute resolution options, including domestic and
international arbitration, mediation, adjudication and expert determination.
Our client base extends from SMEs to local and foreign multi-national companies. They trust
us to give them bespoke and thorough advice on dispute avoidance, contracts and risk
Our lawyers are able to handle both domestic and international arbitration work given their
experience on complex and high-value cases. We have represented clients in several
dispute resolution forums.
- China International Economic and Trade Arbitration (CIETAC)
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC)
- The International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- The London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA)
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC)
- Singapore Mediation Centre (SMC)
Our international trade practice covers both contentious and advisory work. Our lawyers have a strong background in dispute resolution, including disputes relating to the international sale of goods and services, trade finance and insurance, shipping and logistics, conflicts of law and jurisdictional issues. We also regularly advise our clients on various regulatory and compliance issues as the need arises.
Having acquired in-depth knowledge of the industry, our lawyers are well-placed to advise our clients on a wide range of matters.
Our Main Areas of Practice
- International Sale of Goods & Services
- Compliance & Regulatory Matters
- Export Finance & Insurance
- Security Provisions & Measures
- Commodity Trading & Trade Finance
Energy & Resources
In association with Hugh Fraser Consulting International, a specialist consulting and legal services provider, we assist our clients in the energy and water sectors to expand successfully across international markets with a focus on the ASEAN region.
Our Main Areas of Practice
- Onshore & Offshore Energy & Resources
- Statutory & Contractual Regimes
- International Local Partner Agreements (ILPA) Solutions
- Project Development & Finance
- Asset Acquisitions & Divestitures
- Capital Market & Commercial Bank Financing
Our maritime practice is a key practice area of the firm. Our lawyers are experienced in the full range of shipping and admiralty work, having acted for clients in highly contentious matters as well as complex transactional and advisory work.
We pride ourselves on being able to assist our clients efficiently with precise and comprehensive advice. Bearing in mind the global nature of the shipping industry, we have a wide network of foreign law firms in various major ports to support our clients’ needs.
Our clients include shipowners, charterers, P&I Clubs, H&M underwriters, recovery agents, cargo insurers, brokers, suppliers, ship agents and managers and other institutions involved in the maritime industry.
Our Main Areas of Practice
- Admiralty Law & Marine Casualties
- Charterparties & Cargo Claims
- Shipbuilding, Repairs & Conversion
- Non-Contentious Shipping and Offshore Oil & Gas Work
Admiralty Law & Marine Casualties
Our lawyers are highly experienced and have handled a broad range of casualty-related work including the arrest of vessels for obtaining security. Notable casualties handled recently include:
- “Best Unity” c/w “Southern Explorer” off Singapore
- United Fortitude c/w “Oceanus Leader” off Singapore
- “Prime Sailor” c/w “Kuo Hsiung” off Port Klang
- “Mare Traveller” c/w “Densa Jaguar” off Chittagong.
- Acted for “ALM Eagle” interests which was towing barge “POE Giant 12” which ran aground off Pedra Branca.
- “Hai Qing” c/w ‘Lord Vishnu’ and “SKUA” off Singapore
- “Sevilla Knutsen” grounding on coral reefs around the Eauripik atoll, Federated States of Micronesia.
We have extensive experience in advising and handling litigation work in relation to this varied area of work. Some of our recent cases include:
- Acted as counsel for a Singapore company listed in the SGX mainboard dealing with the ownership and chartering of offshore vessels and rigs against a Mexican credit company involving a dispute over standby letters of credit amounting to approximately US$9 million issued pursuant to a charterparty agreement. As part of the proceedings, obtained an interlocutory injunction against the Mexican company preventing it from calling for payment under the letters of credit.
- Acted for an Indonesian shipping company, which is listed on the Indonesia Stock Exchange, in defending an US$11 million arbitration claim in the London Maritime Arbitrators Association in respect of an alleged breach
of a bareboat charterparty.
- Acted for a Singapore listed company in an SIAC arbitration involving a US$85 million claim for breach of a long-term charterparty of a floating warehouse to PDVSA, the Venezuelan NOC.
- Acted for a Singapore listed company in its tripartite joint venture to supply offshore support vessels in respect of the Gorgon gas project in Western Australia. Work done included drafting and negotiating the JVA and the chartering contracts.
Our lawyers are well-versed in both contentious and non-contentious matters in this practice area. As the market continues to face a downturn, our understanding of our client’s business provides a distinct advantage in offering prompt advice tailored to the difficult problems faced by both owners and yards.
- Acted for a Mexican offshore contractor as claimants in an arbitration seated in Singapore against a major local shipyard in connection with warranty claims in excess of US$50 million arising from a contract for the construction and sale of a semi-submersible offshore drilling unit meant to be deployed under a PEMEX contract.
- Acted for a Singaporean shipyard in a claim for loss and damage in the sum of £800,000 brought by owners for alleged negligence in the conversion of their vessel to enable her to perform cable-laying works.
- Acted for Owners in a claim against an UAE-based builder for damages arising from delay and negligence in the construction of an offshore platform built at a contract price of US$8 million.
- Acted for owners in a claim against a manufacturer of controllable pitch propellers for loss and damage arising from defects in design.
- Retained by a Thai shipyard to advise and assist with all of their contract drafting and litigation.
- Acted as counsel for a Chinese shipbuilding and ship repair company in the arrest of a bulk container vessel registered in Panama. The admiralty and arrest proceedings involved claims from numerous intervening parties including the cargo owners, bunker suppliers, mortgagee bank and crew and concluded with the judicial sale of the vessel. Also obtained judgment in a sister ship claim against the same owners.
We have acted in numerous vessel sale and purchase transactions and have also advised on financing and flag registration aspects both in relation to the purchase of second hand tonnage as well as newbuilds. We also advise both buyers and yards on their shipbuilding and repair contracts, ensuring that their contracts apply the appropriate contractual risk allocation. Our work in this practice area includes advisory work and drafting of charterparties, ship management contracts, contracts of affreightment and crewing agreements. Finally, we are adept in acting for our clients in international joint ventures in the context of the deployment of their vessels into challenging jurisdictions such as Nigeria, Mexico and Saudi Arabia.
Examples of our matters are as follows:
- Acted for a buyer in relation to 3 new building contracts for self-propelled jack-up barges for construction at a shipyard in the USA. The aggregate project cost amounted to approximately US$150 million. Work done included drafting and negotiating documentation in relation to the financing of the new builds and separate joint ventures to own and operate the vessels.
- A buyer in relation to a construction contract for a Friede & Goldman Super M2 design jack-up rig to be built in an UAE based yard at a contract price of US$150 million. Scope of the advice included the financing of the construction cost, the drafting of all necessary documentation for a tripartite joint venture to own and operate the rig and the negotiation on the terms and conditions of the building contract.
- Acted for a purchaser in its US$80 million acquisition of an Oslo OTC listed company active in the provision of management services, operation and supply of on and offshore drilling and accommodation units. Advice rendered was mainly in relation to an extensive due diligence exercise carried out on the target company’s management contracts and assets.
- Acted for a borrower in relation to a US$40 million term loan facility to finance the construction of an offshore platform in the USA.
- Acted for a Singapore mainboard listed company in its tripartite joint venture to supply offshore support vessels in respect of the Gorgon gas project in Western Australia. Work done included drafting and negotiating the JVA and the chartering contracts.